Our Vision of Northumberland National Park
We have set out how we want to see the National Park in 2020 in our Vision:
'Northumberland National Park Authority will be proactive, innovative and forward-looking, working towards a National Park with thriving communities and a sustainable local economy grounded in its special qualities, including a richness of cultural heritage and biodiversity, a true sense of tranquillity and a distinct character associated with a living, working landscape, in which everyone has an opportunity to understand, enjoy and contribute to those special qualities.'
We use the Vision Statement to help us organise our work and assess our progress.
As our Vision Statement emphasises, we believe that the future of the National Park lies in maintaining and enhancing its special qualities. That includes keeping it as a living, working landscape so we are working towards:
- Sustainable land use - so that the people who live in the National Park make a good living from the land, while leaving it in good heart for future generations;
- A landscape rich in biodiversity - by protecting the whole range of distinctive habitats, and the species they support, across the National Park;
- A rich cultural heritage - valuing traditions while continuing and developing them as part of contemporary culture;
- A true sense of tranquillity - the peace and quiet which are increasingly rare and precious in the rest of the country;
- Opportunities for all to understand and enjoy and contribute to the special qualities - for the benefit of visitors and residents, and because well-informed, enthusiastic people will help to support all our other aims;
- A thriving community and economy - for the benefit of residents and visitors, and to underpin all our other aims.