Harbottle : Forest
The forest of Whilke Wood embracing 13360 acres (op. cit., 105) also formed part of the manorial demesne in 1604. This can be identified with the valley of Wilkwood Burn (the upper course of Barrow Burn) in the moorland west of Harbottle and presumably represented a seigneurial hunting range.
Four of the customary tenants in Alwinton township, known as the 'Fosters of the Forrest of Harbotle', were recorded as paying only a peppercorn yearly rent for their farms (1.5d), on account of the services they rendered in the forest, presumably as hereditary foresters (op. cit., 117).