Holystone : The Church
The Church of St Mary the Virgin was almost totally rebuilt in 1848, removing most of the earlier remains, however a little remains to provide some idea of likely development of the medieval church. A detailed description of building and an account of its known history and that of the Augustinian Priory was provided in volume XV of the Northumberland County History (NCH XV (1940, 455-9) and this is re-evaluated by Ryder here. The earliest remains probably date to the early 12th century and may be contemporary with the foundation of the nunnery. As well as serving the nunnery this building probably also provided the parish church.
- Holystone Church : Architectural Description And Analysis by P F Ryder
- Holystone Church : Discussion
Picture : Interior of Holystone Church