The Boundaries Discussion : Greenlee And Stonefolds
The holdings of Greenlee and Stonefolds lie at the northern extent of area 4. The farmstead called East Stonefolds was previously known as Haughton Green. Greenlee section 1 which is a post and wire fence runs parallel to the remnants of a dry stone wall. This appears for most of its length as a low bank, however at the northern end it stands to full height for a distance of 4m.on the south side of the gateway. Also from this point, two prominent banks approximately 3m wide by 1m high extend to the south east. These are not shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map and do not appear to conform to the present enclosure pattern.
Section 2 is a well-constructed dry stone wall, which extends from Greenlee Plantation to Greenlee Farm and is clearly shown in its present form on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map. A slight ditch was noted on the south side of the wall with the remains of a bank on the north side. At the change of direction west of the farm the bank continues to the east and the wall runs over the top of it. It therefore pre-dates the wall section and the 1866 map and must relate to an earlier, probably 18th century, phase of enclosure. Section 4 runs south of the farm and is shown as a hedge on the 1866 map. This has been replaced by a post and wire fence and no trace of the hedge remains.
Section 5 is a short section of dry stone wall with attached post and wire fence replacing the hedge shown on the 1866 map. All further boundaries (section 6) are post and sheep netting fences with no indication of earlier structures. The southern limit of the Greenlee holding was previously defined by the north shore of Greenlee Lough, where faint traces of rigg and furrow were observed in the rough pasture.
Stonefolds sections 1 and 2 postdate the 1866 map. Section 1 is a post and sheep-netting fence, which continues to the east as a dry stone wall (section 2). Section 3 forms the south west side of a sheepfold and is constructed of large squared material very different from section 2. This was clearly present in 1866 as was the further section (4) of dry stone wall, which constitutes three sides of an enclosure to the south east.
All further boundaries (section 5) are post and sheep netting fences with no indication of earlier structures. Haughtongreen Burn and the north shore of Greenlee Lough previously defined the southern limit of the Stonefolds holding.